112% Funded

0%

Target: €1500

100%

€1,685 Raised

Complete

46 Funders

A Storm Hits Valparaíso

By David Gaughran

description

Hi,

A Storm Hits Valparaíso is an epic historical novel starring San Martín and his army of thieves, rogues, mercenaries, slaves and prostitutes as they fight to free Argentina from the Spanish Empire.

This will be the fourth book that I have released, but the first full-length novel. It's also the first that will have a print version, all of the rest were in e-book format only. The book is finished, and almost ready to go. The money is needed to pay for a professional editor and to typeset the print version. With your help, the e-book will be released in time for Christmas 2011 and the paper version in January 2012.

A Storm Hits Valparaíso is the kind of book I love to read: a big, sweeping story with a huge cast of characters whose stories gradually weave together. It's a story of two brothers torn apart by love; a slave running for his life, a disgraced British seaman seeking redemption in a foreign land; an Indian freed from the death mines of Potosí; and a Spanish general who deserts the army to lead a bloody revolt against his former masters.

You can read a sample of the first few chapters on my blog, but here's the first paragraph to give you an idea of the style:

"Catalina Flores de la Peña’s tongue got her in more trouble than any other part of her body, even though there were far more likely candidates. However, as soon as anyone brought these to her attention, they realized why most men preferred to admire her from the dusty corners of her father’s tavern, rather than approach her directly. So legendary was her temper that the mayor had ordered her father to lock her in her room when dignitaries came to visit the tavern, fearing a repeat of the night she broke the magistrate’s nose."

Thanks for your support.

David Gaughran

rewards

activity

A STORM HITS VALPARAISO - Fund It Rewards Update

Hi all, First of all, thank you. You should have all received an automated email telling you that the project has been successfully funded. I have just received the list of pledgers and the rewards they have chosen, and I will be contacting you closer to Christmas to explain the timeframe for receiving your rewards. As mentioned previously, the e-book of A STORM HITS VALPARAISO will be ready just before Christmas. The paperback (if you chose that reward) takes a little longer to produce, but it should be ready in January to be shipped direct to you. I'm just putting the finished touches to the manuscript before sending it off to my editor. I'm also finalizing the map I have commissioned from an artist. It looks really great but needs a few tweaks here and there. The book is starting to come together now, and I'm getting excited about releasing it. Thank you for all your support, and I will be in touch closer to Christmas about your rewards. Regards, David Gaughran

Two Weeks To Go!

Hi all, First of all, thank you for pledging to this project. Thanks to you, we have hit 88% of our total in the first two weeks. This is a phenomenal, and unexpected, result, so thank you, really. There are two weeks left to get the remaining 12%. I have some promotion planned to draw more funders to the project, and I'm pretty confident we will hit the total over the next fourteen days. On the writing side, I'm just preparing "A Storm Hits Valparaiso" for the editor. The book needs to be in near-perfect condition before she gets her hands on it. I'm doing the final pass now, adding details here and there, cutting the flabby parts out, and rewriting some key scenes that needed some extra punch. It's hard work (especially as this book has been rewritten numerous times), and I'm looking forward to starting my next book and a few more short stories when I'm done. I will update you all again closer to the time. Thanks again, Dave

funders (46)

There are 43 public funders of this project


There are 3 anonymous funders of this project

anonymous

anonymous

anonymous