THERE THERE is a photographic event in Cork City, curated by Stag & Deer and launching on October 18th 2012. THERE THERE will bring more than 30 international, national and local lens-based artists under one banner. There’ll be six different exhibitions with different concerns sharing a common thematic framework, responses to 'otherness'. We have secured an internationally recognised female photographer to anchor the event, Viviane Sassen.
THERE THERE Programme
* Viviane Sassen (Netherlands): Parasomnia, The Sculpture Gallery, Crawford Art Gallery, Cork.
* Miriam O’Connor (Ireland): Attention Seekers. Venue: TBC.
Attention Seekers will be co-curated by Anna Crudge and Miriam O’Connor. Anna is an emerging curator. On Saturday 20th October, Miriam will be in conversation with Angel Luis Gonzalez, Director of PhotoIreland, and Anna Crudge. Time: TBC.
* Roseanne Lynch (Ireland): is creating new work in a space at The Architects School on Copley Street, Cork. This location for site-specific responding was specifically chosen with and for her.
* Zhang Kechun (China): The Yellow River. The Architects School on Copley Street.
* Peggy Sue Amison is curating works from national and international artists in response to the thematic basis of THERE THERE. Venue: TBC.
* ASPECT is an open submission group exhibition and is a platform for emerging national and international lens based artists. Submissions are now closed. The 15 successful artists are listed on www.staganddeer.com
With the partnership of RightBrain fine art printers in Cork, the works will be printed and shown in TACTIC Cork. The panel of judges for this selection were; RightBrain, Stag & Deer, Matt Packer of The Lewis Glucksman Gallery and Sheelah Moloney from 2020 Gallery.
The Guesthouse, Cork has kindly offered a month long residency to one of the selected artists during 2013. The successful artist has yet to be announced.
For more detailed information on the entire programme please visit http://there-there-aphotographicevent.tumblr.com/
THERE THERE Budget
The overall festival budget: €11,000, and we have kindly received financial support from Cork City Council for THERE THERE, we have also secured lots of support-in-kind and we’re planning additional fundraisers at the end of August. Keep an eye on our Facebook for the “Paper-Rock-Scissors Tournament” and big thanks in advance to the Plugd/Gulpd, Cork crew!
What we need from you is money to pay for printing international works here in Ireland – this cuts shipping costs but it ain’t free, some money will be put towards venue rental fees (others we have covered), event insurance covering six spaces, the public and the art. We also need emergency exit signs, additional lighting, and electricians. Anything you can give to financially help us, the artists, curators, graphic designers (that’s you Tim!) and all those involved is hugely appreciated. As we said in the video, we had no money when we started this idea last Christmas but we kept going because it HAS TO HAPPEN. Please help us to MAKE IT THE BEST IT CAN BE!
Thank you for reading this/watching the video and if you’re not in a position to donate then please spread the word to those who might – all help is welcome!
Best, Pam & Pádraig