The Underground Cinema Film Festival (UCFF) in Dun Laoghaire celebrates the best of Irish Independent Cinema. The festival takes place this September 13th-16th, with the opening gala on Thursday, September 13.
It is a unique platform for both professional and emerging filmmakers to showcase their projects on the big screen, often for the first time ever.
In 2011 the UCFF brought to Dún Laoghaire a number of acclaimed film figures including writer Roddy Doyle (The Commitments), director Jim Sheridan (In the Name of the Father, Dream House), director Ivan Kavanagh (Bandage-Man, Tin Can Man), director Terry McMahon (Charlie Casanova) and producer and script editor Ferdia McKenna (The Last of the High Kings) director Conor Horgan (100 Mornings).
In 2012, the Programme includes four themes: Women in Film, Underground Film, Horror and Screen Adaptation. The festival highlights include:
• A Midnight Screening of Francis Ford Coppola’s Dracula in association with The Bram Stoker Estate and the Victorian Vampire Society UK with special guest Dacre Stoker
• A special programme devised by Jack Sargeant, curator of Revelation Perth International Film Festival and renowned authority on underground and cult film, in association with the Irish Film Board
• A celebration of Paul Fraser’s work (My Brothers, A Room for Romeo Brass, Heartlands) with screenings and Q and A’s
• Panels with exclaimed Irish and International Filmmakers such as director Kirsten Sheridan ( Dollhouse, Disco Pigs, August Rush), director Marian Quinn (32A), director Carmel Winters (Snap) Actress Olwen Fouere (The Other Side of Sleep, This Must be the Place) producer Edwina Forkin (Headrush) and many more
• Free workshops with industry professionals including Ciaran Creagh (Parked) Ferdia MacAnna, ( The Last of the High Kings, Custer's Last Stand-Up) and Vinny Murphy (Accelerator)
• Special guests to include Colin Bateman and Bernard MacLaverty. More to be confirmed
• Complimentary events such as concerts, after-show parties, stall areas and competitions with partners including the American horror show host Barnabus Bailey GSU www.barnabusbailey.com
We are a group behind the Underground Cinema (UC). Our goal is to champion indie films and filmmakers, providing a space where they can present their works to a wider audience. Since 2009, the UC has screened over 450 independent titles.
We want to invite you to become a part of this exciting film event that champions the talent and creativity of Independent Cinema. With your help we would be able to organize a real cinematic feast with a number of free events. The funding will go towards our guests' accommodation and travel expenses. In return for your support, we offer you our eternal gratitude, tickets and festival passes, photo opportunities, and much more.